Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hey all,

For my first post I wanted to write about something that i'm sure not alot of you have heard about. I'm talking about Tinkerbell. That's right, I mean Tinkerbell, the little fairy from Peter Pan.

What you may not know about her is that she was not just a figment of someone's imagination but that her likeness was created from an actress by the name of Margaret Kelly. You can google her and it will bring up pictures of her pantomiming with props for the movie Peter Pan. You can see her peeking through a keyhole, dancing on mirror, and trying to open "the drawer" with a big scissors.

As Margaret Kelly pantomimed pictures were taken and drawers were brought in to study the way she moved and reacted. They paid attention to her facial expressions, especially, because facial expressions are one of Tinkerbelle's main source of communication.

There is a rumor, to this day, that says that Tinkerbelle was modeled after Marilyn Monroe. That rumor is false. People assumed that because Marilyn Monroe was an up-and-coming actesss with a growing movie career. However, Monroe was not popular until late 1953 and Peter Pan came out in early 1953 and had been in the process of production and creation since 1949.

Well, I hope you were able to learn something new from this. If not....why did you read this! Just kidding. I hope you enjoyed it and keep your eyes peeled for my next blog. The next one won't be about something as sweet as Tinkerbelle. I will be getting into the ugly side of Disney.

Talk to you soon,
Courtney

4 comments:

  1. I did not know that Tinkerbell was modeled after an actual person. Now that I think about it, the fact that they had an actual person act out Tinkerbell's scenes probably added to the realism of her actions and her great expressions.
    As for your next blog...I'm looking forward to reading about the "ugly side of Disney". I guess even Disney has skeletons in their closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was unaware that tinkerbell was a portrayal of a real person. Thinking about it though, it does make sense to use a real person's movements to make the cartoon more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor old tink doesn't get enough credit huh?? You have an interesting topic considering that EVERYONE from this is a part of everyones childhood from our generation(even the big tough men that dont want to admitt to it!) It will be cool to see what your next blog will be about and what could possibly be about ugly about a world full of fairytales. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an interesting blog on a topic that I, myself, would not have ever looked into, but it was informative none the less. I had no clue that she was created after an actual person. I would have never guessed that a minor character would have actually been the one modeled after a real-life person. Could you look up if Captain Hook was modeled after somebody? That would be awesome if he was! Were there ANY other Disney Characters modeled after people? Now you have me curious....Good post Courtney!

    ReplyDelete