Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sidekicks and then some.

Have you ever noticed that in every movie there has to be a 4 main characters? The lead, the villain, the damsel, and the leads best friend (also known as the sidekick). A sidekick is a part of making a good foundation for every film. They are the glue that hold the film together. They are the comedic relief when the situation gets too depressing. They are the leading characters "realization", the thing that helps them realize what the right thing to do is. They also tend to take the blame for the lead and even some abuse. Some of them also have the hard task of falling in love with the lead but never being able to pursue that love because they are too good of a friend.

People sometimes say that they like to cheer for the underdog, well I think we should all be cheering for the Sidekick. They are one of the most valueable tools used in cinema. They go back all the way to the beginning.

Some of my personal favorites when it comes to sidekicks would be the fabulous 5 from Aladdin (Iago, Abu, Genie, Rajah, and Carpet), Timon and Pumba from the Lion King, Flounder and Sebastian from The Little Mermaid, Tinkerbelle from Peter Pan, and last, but certainly not least, Lefou from Beauty and the Beast.

I never actually realized how many sidekicks the movie Aladdin had but now that I think about it it makes sense! It was a good movie so of course it had so many! Out of those five sidekicks I'd have to say that my favorite is Genie. He's one of the best examples of a sidekick that was the comedic relief but also took the abuse. He was a good genie and an even better friend.

Tinkerbelle was a rare form of sidekick. She couldn't speak and she was fiesty as hell. She was an example of a sidekick who loved her leading character. I mean she died for him! It wouldn't have worked out between them though so maybe it would've have been better for her to go find a little fairy of her own.

My favorite Sidekick is and will forever be LeFou. Most of you may not know him by his name but this little guy brought many of the laughs in the movie Beauty and the Beast. He played Gaston's little companion. He received alot of abuse and was still there to comfort Gaston in the end. Did you ever wonder if maybe there was something more to that relationship then meets the eye? If you didn't before you sure do now!

All sidekicks, whether they be a sidekick to a bad guy or not, all have good intentions. So next time you're watching a movie make sure to pay attention to the Sidekick. Afterall, the movie would be nothing without them.

6 comments:

  1. Sidekicks are the GREATEST!!! haha Especially when you get the goofy ones that are just so eccentric and out-there. They make Disney movies even better. I don't know if I have a favorite sidekick or not though. Tinkerbelle is one of them that's for sure. Her fiestiness took the cake for me...love a girl with spunk like that! But if I had to choose, I'd have to go with Timon and Pumba. They're just so silly and creative. Plus, who doesn't love a muircat, a warthog, and a lion all being harmonious friends?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always was partial to Timon, Pumba, and the Genie. The Genie is funny to all ages. When I was younger I didn't even get all the jokes he was telling, because he does like 100 impressions in that movie.
    And I'm pretty sure Timon and Pumba won me over when they dressed in drag and did the hula. Completely random, but it was the best diversion ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like, two weeks ago I was having a conversation with a friend about Beauty and the Beast, and for the life of my I could not think of Gaston's sidekicks name! Haha THANK YOU for informing me. Sidekicks do play an important role not only in Disney movies but all movies. They are usually there to provide comedic relief. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Side kicks play a mojor role in a series or a movie!! I liked what you wrote about. Even i personally feel that Side kicks or side role's helps the lead to carry out his role properly, without making the story very boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE sidekicks; you could say that they pretty much make the movie? I would have to say my favorite is Sebastian from Little Mermaid, he is always worried about her going out and getting into trouble, but of course she doesn’t listen! Sebastian is like the worry wart of the movie, he is told to look out for Arial by the king but finds it is very difficult with the rebel like personality. I believe that in every movie the sidekick adds a little kick to the movie, they are always the one with the great personality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I googled Lefou and found out it was the butt ugly fat short sidekick of the character Gaston (based on Zack Lee) it brought back funny memories. I wouldn't say that he was there for Gaston at the end because didn't Gaston die..I don't remember. He did make Gaston's awesome character have some comedic moments. He got pushed around like no other but stuck with it. More power to you Lefou.

    P.S. I think tinkerbell and Peter Pan could have pulled off a steady, intimate relationship.

    ReplyDelete