Sunday, February 22, 2009

Princesses

So, in the past few weeks I've talked to you viewers about bad guys and good guys. This week were going to talk about what most of the arguments between those two types of guys are usually about...the girls. Yes, that is correct. We will be talking about princesses, damsels in distress, and heroines.

My favorite out of all of the Disney princesses is without a doubt Belle from Beauty and the Beast. In my opinion, she was the most realistic. She wasn't weak and she wasn't afraid to put the Beast in his place. She knew what she wanted, which to me is a very admirable quality. At the same time she was still open to new things and ideas. She was also very bright and educated, even though it was less than popular.

One character that was referred to as a damsel in distress but showed that she was her own person was Meg from Hercules. She was one opinionated lady but she could also be sweet when she felt comfortable enough. She also had Hercules...lucky! She dealt with Hades and she looked fierce. She was quite something...even if she was a fictional cartoon character.

The best heroine I can think of, from the movies I've seen, is Mulan. She started out weak and timid but eventually became something great and powerful. She brought her family honor and got the guy! She was worried about fitting in with the guys and learning what they were trying to teach but in return she taught them so very important lessons as well. She also got some pretty great friends out of it.

Not all of the princesses are up to snuff. For example, Arial from The Little Mermaid was kind of a little snot. Think about it, she disobeyed her father constantly, ran away, talked to the evil sea witch, and ended up abandoning her family for Prince Eric who she knew for about all of three days. Maybe it's just me but that relationship and choice seems a little bit rushed.

Well, I know i'm not the only one that feels this way, so tell me who your favorite leading ladies are or about which one's really get under your skin! Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it.

7 comments:

  1. I agree about Ariel. She was really disrespectful to her dad, even though he blew up all her illegal human stuff with his trident. And then he goes and gives away his life to Ursula to save Ariel, and becomes one of those creepy seaweed creature things. I mean, he obviously loves his daughter more than himself, and she chooses to ditch her family and marry Eric instead.
    Mulan and Belle are definitely my favorite Disney princesses. I liked Mulan because she wasn't all gung-ho sure about who she was, unlike most cartoon female characters. Mulan had character development. And the relationship between her and Shang did not feel rushed, since the war training took place over months. And Shang had character development, too. He wasn't just there to be Mulan's love interest. He was fresh out of his own training and didn't want to let down his father, from whom he got the job. You could really feel for him, especially when his father died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to read your post. I think that Mulan sort up uped the act for the diseny princesses for the rest of time, she was indeed a heroine. This is something that not all of the other princesses can say.
    I would have said that before I read post my favorite character would have been Ariel or Jasmine. I somewhat agree with what you said about the little mermaid, I have never thought about it that way before. I guess when I decided on my favorites when I was littel it was based on what they got to wear and how cute there prince was. :) I do agree that the more appropriate leading lady would be a princess of a well developed character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney-
    When I was younger The Little Mermaid was my favorite Disney movie ever. I never really thought about it before, but she was kind of bratty. She was very disobedient and gave up her voice and abandoned her friends and family for her prince! I'm thinking the main appeal of that movie was the songs. I still know some of the lyrics. :) I also really liked Belle; she possessed some good qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really liked Arial, I was always watching The Little Mermaid over and over. I thought she was beautiful as a person, and I thought it was interesting that she gave up her voice to be able to walk. Then again that is how she met her man! But yes she was the one who didn’t obey her father and went off and got herself into trouble with Ursula. I also really enjoyed watching the second movie, you find out that her daughter is exactly how she was when she was younger which does get her into trouble in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Brittney, I loved Ariel! I personally like the message that was portrayed in the Little Mermaid, she had to make sacrifices to do what made her happy. And you can't tell me that every little kid at least at one time or another thought about running away from their parents, whether it was actually running away from home or hiding from the in the super market. Just because Ariel wasn’t perfect in every aspect like every other Disney princess, doesn’t mean she was a brat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I think Ariel was not a snot! She did run away from her dad, but I think it was because her dad was so mean! He goes in her little place and blows all her stuff up! Who does that? And, who hasn't thought about running away from their parents at one point? And in the end it's not like she abandoned her family, she gets her father's blessing and he lets her live happily ever after. He was too suffocating! No wonder she didn't want to live with her crabby dad and airhead sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey when i was young, i had seen the movie, beauty and the beast. I lyked the princess too, ofcourse with obvious reasons. But the thing i lyked about the entire character was bravery, affection, trust and love.
    i also had to learn a chapter on this story, in my middle school.
    About ariel, i dont think he is a snob. I found her pretty cute.Though i was not a great fan of little mermaid,cause i found it a bit girlish. But whenever i saw with my cousin, i found girl pretty interesting!!

    ReplyDelete