Sunday, February 1, 2009

Disney and low self-esteem

Hey, hey, hey,

So this week i'm going to tell you all about how Disney plays a part in our self-esteem.

As children we admire the princesses and other heroine figures we see in the Disney movies...but why? What about them draws us in? Is it their beauty, their clothes, fancy life styles? Maybe it's all of the above? What children don't understand, though, is that their minds are being programed to be set for high exceptions.

Most children, along with me, when they first saw Pocahontas thought, "Wow! She's really pretty and thin and her and John Smith really love eachother." However, in real life Pocahontas was not thin, not too clean, and she never ended up with John Smith. Nobody ever told us that though!

You have to wonder, "Why didn't Disney portray Pocahontas they way she really was?". Why is that? Is it because "thin is in"? Is it because if Pocahontas was thin she would have more sex appeal, and let's face it, sex sells!

We don't know for sure but we can guess. If Pocahontas would have been a "full-figured" girl in the movie would the movie have had such success? In many movies in order for their to be bigger people in them those people have to be the humorous side-kick.

In this day-and-age things are constantly changing, do you think we could have a romantic, full-figured, female lead in a movie? Probably not yet...but i'm keeping up hope. After all, many thought we would never have an African-American president.

Well, hopefully this didn't leave you all to depressed or angry. I was just trying to shine some light on this topic.

So until next time, have a great week!

Courtney

9 comments:

  1. Great post. It really makes a lot of sense. I really do think that Disney movies have shaped our self-esteem (along with Barbie, celebrities, other cartoons...).

    Interesting point made about Pocahontas. I'll bet there's lots of people who did not know the real truth about her. One thing I really don't understand is if kids really seem to be appealed to a prettier princess. Or is that just for the adults?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, was surprised and a bit mad at the revelation that Pocahontas was not actually a supermodel. Disney movies always have these beautiful, animated women that real women can't compete with, and they feel the need to change real women to sell tickets.
    In all honesty, I don't know whether this was a wise judgment call on the part of Disney or not. It would be a nice change to have a beautiful, normal sized, full figured woman in a romantic lead. Here's hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I love Disney movies to this day, but whenever I watch Aladdin I get self concious because I wish I had Jasmine's rockin abs. I love movies that star Queen Latifah because she is a full figured woman who is hilarious and gorgeous! She is a great actress and she isn't a stick. She is a great role model for girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I never did think about something like this. Almost in all Disney movies, the women are always very pretty and thin. It does make me think what the real story could be behind some of those movies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call me superficial, but, I don't think the Disney world will be sporting a not-so-thin, not-so-pretty girl. Although it does seem that the perfect "super hott" female leads would get redundant over time. Personally, I just feel that if the animators are drawing these character, why would there be any need to make imperfections?

    You know, Courtney, I think you should do subliminal messages in Disney movies. Just look at YouTube for ideas. That would be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well written post Courtney, I think every young girl should read. Even though these movies are animated the producers somehow persuade the audience into believing that being beautiful is the only way to be. These movies definitely shape young children’s personality even with boys; they always have these huge macho men which is pretty unrealistic if you think about it. I believe that we need to also show children it’s okay not to be the most beautiful and not everyone is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post! It's so true! When I was little and watching Disney movies all the time, the princess always had to be pretty or I would not watch it! I didn't like the little mermaid or snow white, because I didn't think they were as pretty as the other princesses. I think Disney movies in our times now should show a more diverse body types, not just the stick thin, beautiful girls, when our society is changing so much. Women now days are not that skinny, we tend to keep a healthy looking body weight and not super skinny, and not everyone is graced with beauty. Young girls can get the wrong perceptions about their own body image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo Courtney! I am glad that you pointed this out. Even though there have been a lot of Disney movies made you rarely find the "imperfect" one, unless they are the ugly step-sisters or the wicked witch. For some reason the idea that the princesses perfect continues even today. Princes are also portrayed as being the handsome, macho guys, unless they are bad- also sending a similar message to the male viewers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these movies set high standards for young people. My little sister has all these princess things and she tends to act as though she deserves more. It gets to kid's minds that they can do some of the things the Disney characters do. It's misleading, but they don't want to portray the Native Americans as ugly or fat( I'm not saying that they are).

    ReplyDelete