Sunday, April 5, 2009

Disney Songs

Hey all,

So this week we're going to be talking about one of the best parts (in my opinion) in movies....the songs! As musicals such as the recent hits of High School Musical 1, 2, and 3, and Hairspray have taught us, Music can make...or break a movie. Disney has had some pretty amazing songs in the past such as the the music from Snow White and Cinderella to Toy Story 2 and Cars.

When Disney movies were first made the music used in them was more orchestrated than anything. Now and days, the music is pretty much ready to air on the radio! Think about it, the music in Sleeping Beauty was orchestrated by George Bruns and it was adapted Tchaikovsky Ballet. Now, on the other hand, one of the songs from the movie Cars (Life is a Highway by The Rascal Flatts) which quickly became a hit on the US billboard Hot 100.

There have been some great movies and even greater soundtracks. Alan Menken won 6 awards for his work on The Little Mermaid, 7 awards on The Beauty and the Beast, 4 awards for Pocahontas, and 8 awards for Aladdin. And you can't forget Elton John's amazing work on The Lion King!

Obviously Disney movies are going to keep changing with the times (High School Musical for example) but that doesn't mean that they're never going to be good, as so many people think. With that being said I would like to know what you all prefer? Do you like listening to the ever catchy "When you wish upon a star" song from Pinocchio or newer songs like that of "Life is a Highway" by the Rascal Flatts?

I personally enjoy both but prefer the older style. It not only reminds me of my childhood a little bit but that type of music tends to calm me. :)

Either way, I want to know how you feel! So what do you prefer? What is your favortie Disney song? Also, what is your favortie "older" song and your favorite "new" song?

Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. I love a movie with good songs! I also feel like songs can ruin a movie though. I actually enjoy listening to music probably more than I do watching movies, but I don't like watching all-out musicals. I don't really know why. I think I just get annoyed with ALL the singing and dancing. Although I do like music as a good background noise and a highlight to the feature.

    But I love the music in some Disney movies; I especially like all the songs in The Little Mermaid. I loved singing along to them when I was younger. I guess I like both old and new songs, but I feel like some of the old Disney movie songs are timeless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Disney movies for that reason also! Even though I'm not a kid anymore I still love to watch Disney movies with my friends. My roommates and I are always singing random Disney songs at random point and places throughout the day. When I was little I used to sing along with them all the time, it almost gave me something to do when I was little just watching the Disney singalong movies. I also think that some of the songs have positive messages in them.

    As far as a favorite goes I really don't have one. Maybe the ones in the Hercules movie. I tend to like the songs from when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am probably one of the biggest little kids out there. I would easily, hands down, chose a Disney movie over anything and still to this day be able to sing along with all the songs and not miss a single word. (Although it’s not the greatest thing to hear me sing) I do like the newer songs now (Life is a Highway in Cars) but to me, the classic Disney can never be beat. My favorite would probably have to be the entire soundtrack from The Lion King, love that movie and also grew up listening to Elton John (Mom was a HUGE fan)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, im with The Lion King, (in the jungle the mighty jungle) yeah, always a good hit. As for the changing music of disney, I agree that some of the older songs are great, but I also understand that there is a whole new generation of kids watching these films and that they need to find their Own "lion sleeps tooonight" So i can see why the music is changing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strongly agree with you. Songs can make or break a movie. Example Aladin's songs were the best ever. But the ones in some of the resent films kind make me wanna just shut the movie off. I think it would be almost impossible to find someone who does not have a favorite song or disney song that they cant relate to.

    ReplyDelete